The American Medical Association owns the rights to all CPT® codes and is now enforcing the collection of licensing fees for each Rendering Provider who submits Claims utilizing these codes.
Similar to all practice management and EHR companies, we are required to collect licensing fees for CPT® codes annually on behalf of the AMA. Fees should be collected via your primary payment method. For 2021, the fee is $18 per provider.
For more information on the AMA CPT® Code licensing fees, please visit this link.
- Is this a new fee, if not why wasn’t I charged previously?
This is not a new fee by the AMA. However; the AMA has increased the enforcement of their copyright and are working with EHR companies and clearing houses to collect these fees.
- Do I need to pay for providers who are not using AMA CPT® codes?
No, providers who have not used or will not use CPT® codes during the 2021 calendar year will not be charged.
- Will I be charged sales tax for the AMA CPT codes licensing fee?
Applicable taxes will not be charged on this billing cycle but may be charged in the future.
- Will the fee be raised next year?
We will communicate ahead of time about any future CPT® Code fee increases made by the AMA, but historically, the AMA does an annual price increase.
- Can I pay the AMA directly?
No, the AMA will charge all EHR companies for the use of their CPT® codes. For this reason, we will be collecting the fees on their behalf.
- How is AccuPoint identifying providers who have used CPT® Codes?
Each user that has had an insurance claim submitted using a CPT® Code with their name listed as rendering provider will be considered a provider eligible for the 2021 AMA Licensing Fee.
- How will the fee appear on my AccuPoint invoice?
The charge description will say "AMA CPT License Fee".
- I use other billing tools with these codes too. Do I only need to pay this fee once per year, per provider or will I need to pay for each billing tool I use?
The AMA is charging all EHRs a licensing fee per provider for use of the AMA CPT® Codes. We are unaware of how other billing software and solutions plan to accommodate these fees. For Therapy Brands EHR solutions, your account will be charged once a year per provider that uses CPT® Codes.
- How much does AccuPoint profit from these fees?
AccuPoint does not profit at all from the AMA Licensing Fees. A small percentage covers administrative costs (i.e. credit card processing fees) for AccuPoint to collect the fee on behalf of AMA, and the rest of the fees will go to the AMA.